>From: "Julian Lawton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Re:2 for the price of 1.
>tastes of other Mods (90s or 70s as well as 60s) is - you state that the
>bomplist is broader than the stereotype has it, so what's wrong with a
>similar policy amongst a community of mods?
Because bomp ranges across a range of styles and everyone on there is happy
to do that while everyone always argues about what mod is, which is where
the ol' mod revivalist, britpop, jazz, soul, ska, gawd knows what else
arguments come up. Which is part of the fun of course. It'd be no fun if we
all kept to one idea of modness.

>>>(Though whether this is one, is a question in itself - to add to the
>>>recent comments about peoples one-hit wonders and the New Wave bias, it
>>>really does make you wonder, especially  when no ones going to pick up
>>>and run with Johnny Nash rather than Falco).<<<
Indeed. Even tho' I'm part of that age-group that lived thru' the 80s it
doesn't mean I want to relive it here. In fact it's exactly because I lived
thru' the 80s that much of the stuff still makes me shudder to the bone
(thank you all so much for reminding me that Falco ever existed - I was just
beginning to forget...)

>>>While I'm not going to insist that everyone prove it, I'm always
>>>interested in pointers to good music from people who are judging that in
>>>the context of, say, knowing The Artwoods, Etta James, and John Patton,
>>>or at least that sort of mentality. (Of course it's typical that the
>>>moment after I posted we had the biggest flurry of Britpop activity in
>>>months).<<<
This definitely links into the point you made about x leading to z - and
very nicely put too - but when it comes down to it, the big barrier is the
"it's not mod" problem. Anything that does seem to try to capitalise on 6ts
mod in the most blatant way (used in the loosest Who/Small Faces word) seems
to attract lots of vitriol (Oasis/OCS/Weller/Charlatans - I'm making no
judgements, it's just the way I've seen it). Anything that doesn't but still
seems cool (Stereolab... er, hang on, I'll think of something - Eternal!)
isn't seen to be mod. Well, at least by some people. It works the completely
opposite way around too. OK, I'm gettin' confused now. Hey that's the mod
way, innit (as many different ideas of mods as there are mods...). Right,
time to stop.

Current currentish listening, what there is of it, each with it's own 6ts
antecedents:
Stereolab: Cobra and Phases
The High Llamas: Snowbug
Plush: More You Becomes You
Air: Brakes On
Divine Comedy: National Express (still...)
Beta Band: Los Amigos Del Beta Bandidos
Beck: Sexxlaws

Katrina