You know, I am aware that a number of people are all worked up about the non
modishness of the topic of 80s one hit wonders. However, I have always
thought that there was a certain parallel between the pop hits of the 60s and
some of the better tunes from the 80s. I'm probably just nostalgizing for a
time when I still had hope, but there was a certain return to pop innocence
in the 80s that was a bit heartening. It's rather hard to imagine a song as
vulnerable as "If You Leave" by OMD being released in this day and age. On
the other hand, it's exactly the kind've tune that, say, Dusty Springfield
might have done. The Naked Eyes version of "Always Something There To Remind
Me" is striking in that it's done on synthetic instruments, and yet comes
across as heartfelt as the original version. Some of the synth bands had
really soulful singers, like Alison Moyet from Yaz, and when they had a good
tune under their hands it could be quite enjoyable. In comparison, a lot of
the mechanical music of our time is virtually devoid of any warmth at all. I
blame the Germans.

This is all just further proof of my encroaching obsolescence and another
reminder that I am an anachronism and it's only getting worse.
Cheerily yours,
Corin