>It's not just a mod thing though is it?  England's always been a great
>melting pot for youth culture from the teds through to acid house, we
>may take from the music/fashion of other countries but then we always
>seem to adapt it enough for the world to want it back and make them
>think we invented it.

I think, in a way, you can see a similarity with Japan - I know most
people take the piss out of the way they take Western youth cults
and 'get it wrong', but it's a pretty similar attitude in a way
(importing your youth culture and giving it a local twist) - and
I think it's no coincidence that we're both island based trading
nations. . .