Any ideas? I'll probably spend a day or two in Mass, might go to Ct.....
I'm interested in record stores (I found a nice  soul/r&b/hip hop store in
boston somewhere....)

there is a record shop in Cambridge, MA called Mars Records that deals
heavily in garage, psych, and soul. It's on Mass Ave right near Central
Square.

As for shows in MA...Corin, maybe you can help her out. We're on break
until Feb.

There are a few lofts in Providence that put on (dare I say it on this list
without being accused of being in my twilight years) indie-rock shows.
They're usually pretty fun. One of the lofts is called Fort Thunder and
there is another one directly behind it. If you ask around you won't have
any trouble finding them.

-kc