Oh my, this list has for sure taken me down memory lane..  Hmm a bit
of a background about me self to share with you first so you can
understand where exactly I am coming from.

When I was getting into high school I was originally just into plan
old punk rock.. I am sure you all know the scene.. Combat boots and a
Naked Raygun show was my forte.  I was still under many of the
preconceived notions of the media at that point.  Such a nice young
lad with these distorted images in my mind about skinheads and
punkers and such.  Well going to these shows and being apart of the
small dedicated punk rock scene of the biggest little city on earth,
Milwaukee you get a 101 in punk rock subculture.  Being exposed to
the Nazi's of Janesville, wisconsin (rememeber when geraldo got into
that fight.. Yep, that was Janesville), the punk rockers of the East
Side of Milwaukee (GG Alen got arrested for shiting on stage in
Miltown, not to mention 2 of his slaves were from Milwaukee...), the
SHARPS from Chicago, and the Chicago Straightedge (Victory Records,
Billingsgate, and the whole deal)... I had many little groups to
choose from in search for my teenage identity.. and many roads to go
down.

I befriended many of the straightedge kids.  I took up the lifestyle.
Walked the walk, talked the talk, my wardrobe was completely
Champion.  I was a straighedge winner!

Now I must admit..  At my ripe old age of 23 this all seems silly to
me now.  Much of it was childish rubbish we all have been through.
Trying to belong, and ultimately trying to define myself in a world
that was increasingly trying define me against my will.

I learned a lot about the group psychology and mentality.  The Pack
mentality.  The strength in numbers mentality.  Much like the
skinheads be it SHARP or nazi, punks, and mods.  We held a set of
values that were against the norm.  Or in otherwords.. went against
the grain.

With all groups that define themselves by a strict way of living you
find that you also isolate yourself from the rest of the poplation.
In you mind you pit yourself and your crew against the world.
Everyone becomes your enemy.  Other factions in the scene.  You
travel in packs, you fight in packs, you live a life in conflict with
society.. Which ultimately means. YOU FIGHT.

Skins are skins because they like being skins and all the persecution
fuels the fire and the main reasons why people are skins.  To be
hated is sometimes welcomed and allows a person to hate others.  Nuff
said.

So what I see is with all youth movements.. Mod, skin, straightedge..
and such you bring the violence on by being apart of these groups.
But one day.. You grow up and realize the world really doesn't care
if you are a skin or a mod.  Basically you have to figure out that
you are doing it for yourself.  Selfish I know. But once you come to
that conclusion and readjust your motives.. you will be a much better
person for it.. And less filled with hate.

Now if you are approached by someone who has not come to this
realization.. That still believes in fighting over petty personal
philosophies it is quite easy for the smart ones out there to realize
this.. And justify that otherwise pussy action of walking away.
Because smart people.. Especially mods should have other things on
there mind that are much more important the fighting over dumb ideals.

But we all know there are times where you are put into a corner, and
you are forced to fight your way out.  In this case you react as all
humans would in defence of your body.  Fight like hell.. But don't be
dumb and attatch this to your philosophy on life.  Because if you
do.. Win or lose you are only lowering yourself to their
unintelligent level of thinking.

Just some wise words to one who has been there...  One of the reasons
why I have become extremely interested in the mod movement is because
there isn't an emphasis of taking on the world.  There really is no
reason to fight, because inherently we know we are much smarter then
the rest of the world.  Don't play their games.. Be above them.
Fight only to save your ass.. Not to make a point.

Stay smart and sharp.. The world will open up to you.

John
--
John Drefahl
Massive Magazine / Netwerk Media