Setup,
apache 1.3.4, ssl_mod 1.32, SSLeay 0.9.0b
config:-

ServerType standalone
Port 443
User nobody
Group nobody
ServerAdmin root@localhost
ServerRoot /usr/local/apache/
TransferLog "|/usr/local/apache/bin/rotatelogs
/usr/local/apache/logs/access_log 86400"
PidFile logs/httpd.pid
ServerName aserver.company.com
MinSpareServers 3
MaxSpareServers 20
StartServers 3

SSLCacheServerPath bin/gcache
SSLCacheServerPort logs/gcache_port
SSLCacheServerRunDir /tmp
SSLCACertificatePath /usr/local/apache/conf
SSLCACertificateFile /usr/local/apache/conf/httpsd.pem
SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache/conf/httpsd.pem
SSLSessionCacheTimeout 15

<Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs/>
   SSLRequireSSL
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName radadmin
   AuthGroupFile /dev/null
   AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwdfile
   require valid-user
</Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin

The httpsd compiles, installs and (almost) runs correctly.
My only problem is that several (read as all) enviroment variables
are not available to my cgi programs. I tested this with my own
programs and the "test" bash script that comes with apache,
in each case, I get a blank reponse for each of the variables
(QUERY_STRING, SERVER_NAME, SSL_CIPHER...to name a few).

If anyone has any ideas, as to what the cause is, please mail the list
or me directly.

tia

dave  - sys-admin