At 01:09 PM 10/7/98 +0200, you wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 07, 1998, Alan Spicer wrote:
>
>>[...]
>> >1. Try to find out wheter there are 5.0 updates related to kernel and libc
>> >   from RedHat which perhaps solve your problems. Because other RH 5.0
users
>> >   reported similar problems for Apache recently, the chance is high that
>> >   there is something broken under RH 5.0. Especially the glibc2 stuff
causes
>> >   problems. After people have downgraded to libc5 Apache worked for them.
>> >   Perhaps this is the case for you, too.
>> >
>> >2. After 1.) failed you can create an "rse" account on your box,
>> >   reachable via SSH. Then when I find time I can spent an hour to
trace the
>> >   code. This way we at least know at which corner the problem is.
>
>> * Wow. Tell me again how to tell what C Library I have? I remember recently
>> installing some software that had to be downloaded depending on which libc.
>> I want to compare which libc the local "working" mod_ssl has as compared to
>> the remote 2 machines that currently won't work with mod_ssl. I'm a little
>> leary about changing libc's on these two remote production machines. I
don't
>> want to break anything else that is currently working.
>
>I've no RedHat box available, so I cannot help you here. But when these are
>production machines you should be carefully.  Only upgrade or downgrade libc
>when you really know what you're doing. Then the best way for you is to
>install a different machine under RH 5.1 (where people didn't reported
>problems), try mod_ssl there and when it goes fine you can thing about
>upgrading the OS on your production machine. I recommend you to consult any
>RH/Linux-related newsgroups or mailing lists for this, because we usually
>cannot help you here, of course.
>
>> It's funny ... I'd think my local machine, running a Cyrix clone Pentium
would
>> be the problem one ;-) I had to recently install a patch so that GCC could
>> compile 'C' programs at all. It was specific to problems with Cyrix
6x86's and
>> GCC. Anyway I think all three have the same type of glibc, but I want to
>> confirm that. Funny now the Cyrix is the one that WORKS and not the true
blue
>> Intel Pentium's ;-)
>
>It's not related to the CPU, IMHO. I'm sure you messed up something
>related to your libc or the compiler.
>
>> All three machines were originally installed from the same RedHat 5.0 CD
from
>> Macmillan Computer Publishing.
>
>Yes "originally", but know you have a different installation.... ;-)
>
>                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
>                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                                       www.engelschall.com
* Thanks again for your time and suggestions. I'm going to try the
suggestion for
RedHat 5.1, I just so happen to have RedHat 5.1 directly from RedHat here
and it
was already installed on this same Pentium 200 where I am emailing you from
Win95.
I'll boot down to RedHat 5.1 and install the stuff and test from there.

FYI RedHat ran into a bug in a certain version of GCC (C and C++) with
Cyrix CPU's
that numerous people noticed and reported. They released an RPM of a
patched GCC
and whatever else part was needed for C++. As I remember I have only done
the C
RPM and so far have not had a need for C++.

Much thanks again for your insight and help.

---
Alan Spicer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])