The memory usage seems to be related to virtual hosts.  If a person only
has a few virtual hosts memory usage is roughly identical.  In my case
with 500+ IP virtual hosts the child process is 3 times the size of a
equilalent setup under mod_ssl-2.0.13-1.3.3.  Apache 1.3.4 configured
without mod_ssl-2.2.4-1.3.4 with the same number of virtual hosts
doesn't show a significant memory usage difference vs. Apache 1.3.3.

I still believe there is a problem regarding the children hanging.  I
just built a new RedHat5.2 server and installed apache-1.3.4,
mod_ssl-2.2.4-1.3.4 and openssl-0.9.c with just the default
configuration per FOR JOE AVERAGE.  In less than two minutes under light
https load child processes will start to hang.  I have yet to hang a
child on http traffic. I just can't believe I am the only one having
trouble with this, aargh!...  Anyway for now I guess I just have to
stick with apache-1.3.3 and mod_ssl-2.0.13-1.3.3 which has been up and
stable in our clusters since Oct 15.  I am really tempted to build a
FreeBSD box just to check it out.

John