On Sat, Mar 13, 1999, John Hamlik wrote:

> The memory usage seems to be related to virtual hosts.  If a person only
> has a few virtual hosts memory usage is roughly identical.  In my case
> with 500+ IP virtual hosts the child process is 3 times the size of a
> equilalent setup under mod_ssl-2.0.13-1.3.3.  Apache 1.3.4 configured
> without mod_ssl-2.2.4-1.3.4 with the same number of virtual hosts
> doesn't show a significant memory usage difference vs. Apache 1.3.3.

Ok, for 500 virtual hosts you've around 500 certs/keys, right?  Then it's
clear: since mod_ssl 2.1 the certs/keys are cached in memory for restarts, and
because a cert or key is around 1KB, the server needs approx. 2*500*1KB = 1MB
more memory. And addtionally SSLeay has to cache the certs/keys internally for
operation. So you again have one more 1MB. In other words, for each cert/key
your server process grows about 4KB and with 500 of them you've 2MB more.

OTOH this shouldn't harm, because the 2MB of data are created on startup time
and after the fork() they are used read-only.  So with all modern Unix kernels
(copy-on-demand!) you do not actually waste 2MB per httpd process, of course.

> I still believe there is a problem regarding the children hanging.

Children hanging? But what has the above memory usage to do with children
which hang? Sorry, seems I've lost the context.

> I just built a new RedHat5.2 server and installed apache-1.3.4,
> mod_ssl-2.2.4-1.3.4 and openssl-0.9.c with just the default configuration
> per FOR JOE AVERAGE.  In less than two minutes under light https load child
> processes will start to hang.  I have yet to hang a child on http traffic. I
> just can't believe I am the only one having trouble with this, aargh!...
> Anyway for now I guess I just have to stick with apache-1.3.3 and
> mod_ssl-2.0.13-1.3.3 which has been up and stable in our clusters since Oct
> 15.  I am really tempted to build a FreeBSD box just to check it out.

Hmmm.... I don't know, but perhaps the hangs you discovered are related to the
POST-problems I've now fixed. You should try again with 2.2.5 when it comes
out. OTOH, how can I see this myself? Is there any deterministic way to
reproduce this hangs? I currently cannot reproduce it with the current
2.2.5-pre version.