> Wait! On _ALL_ my testings on en1.engelschall.com I use port 8080 for HTTP an
> 8443 for HTTPS because en1 also runs the non-testing Apache+mod_ssl on 80/443
> .

Well, now I got the message and may explain the behaviour
(which I tried before)

I (and also the other writer to the list) made the following:
Setting up a Testserver on any Port (e.g. 8080), and also an SSL-Test
on another port (e.g. 8888), but then connecting with SSL to
the Non-SSL Port with:

https://server:8080/

Of course here the Server will hang around, because the SSL-Header
will not be usefull nor even a correctly HTTP Header to the
standard apache core (at least missing <CR><LF>).

Jan