On Sun, Dec 06, 1998, John Baskind wrote:

> I'm sure this is a stupid question, but please humour me...
>
> I have upgraded from 2.15...2.1..2.1.1...2.1.2, each time reinstalling the
> server, i.e., fresh apache, fresh (new) m0d_ssl, and fresh mod_perl.
>
> Is this necessary? Is it possible just to add the updated pakage (whichever
> one) to the already built apache source tree?
>
> I'm sitting on mod_perl-1.16_02 right now in case Ralf brings out another
> mod_ssl release anytime soon, for instance.

As I describe in the CHANGES file of 2.1.3, it gets easier since 2.1.3 now.
Because from now on unless EAPI changes you can do the following: Build
mod_ssl as a DSO by performing once the complete installation steps including
an `make install' for SSLeay.  Then you get an Apache+EAPI and a libssl.so.
All you now have to do for upgrading to the latest 2.1.x is to run:

$ gunzip <mod_ssl-2.1.x-1.3.x.tar.gz | tar xvf -
$ cd mod_ssl-2.1.x-1.3.x
$ ./configure --with-apxs=/path/to/apache/sbin/apxs
              --with-ssleay=/path/to/ssleay
$ make
$ make install

This way the new libssl.so is build with a stand-alone build process and then
installed under /path/to/apache/libexec/.  All you have to do finally is to
restart your server.