>     I'm running apache 1.3.3, mod_ssl 2.2., ssleay 0.9.0b

I suggest you to upgrade to open-ssl 0.9.2b, since you'll be able to set
the X509v3 extensions directly.

> The browser (Netscape 4.5) shows me a NO USER CERTIFICATES message box. What
> could be happening ?

Did you set the CA Cert in the CACertificatePath correctly? Maybe you need
to download the CA Cert into Netscape (I'm not sure, since I downloaded it
always)

You should use a cert with "nsCerttype = client, email" extension set.
If you like, I could give you a cert/URL for testing?
(in that case just drop me a mail-to: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

oki,

Steffen