On Thu, May 06, 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > On Thu, May 06, 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Nick Boyce wrote :-
> >> [...]
> >> So is there any chance you could produce a Snapshot tarball or two, in
> the
> >> same way as the OpenSSL site does ?
> >
> > /bin/done: ftp://ftp.modssl.org/snapshot/
>
> Thanks. I've grabbed the snapshot "modssl-SNAP-19990506.tar.gz", and now get
> past the problem where the SSL headers couldn't be found. However, a number
> of alarming-style messages were displayed during the configure run :
>
>    o SSL Configuration Additions
> cp: ../apache_1.3.6/conf/ssl.crl/Makefile: No such file or directory
> cp: ../apache_1.3.6/conf/ssl.crl/README.CRL: No such file or directory
>    o SSL Module Documentation

Ops, that's my fault: I've forgotten the mkdir's for ssl.crl.
Fixed now.

> [...]
>       + SSL interface vendor extensions: disabled
> Unknown flag
>       + SSL interface plugin: Configured DBM (-ldbm)
>       + SSL library path: /data/arc/apache/openssl-SNAP-19990426
>       + SSL library version: OpenSSL 0.9.2c 01 Apr 1999
> Unknown flag
> Unknown flag
> Unknown flag
> Unknown flag
> Unknown flag
> Unknown flag
>       + SSL library type: source tree only (stand-alone)

These "Unknown flag" errors or not from mod_ssl.  They are caused by some
compiler flags you used (or Apache implicitly has chosen for you) inside
TestCompile. This is then a general Ultrix/Apache problem here, I think.

>       + SSL library plugin mode: none
> command garbled: s/\([^\]\)"/\1/g
> sh: htconf.23166.5: cannot open

That's again not inside mod_ssl's scripts because there is no such
substitution. It's from src/Configure and so this again is a general
Ultrix/Apache problem here.

> None of these messages stopped the configure, so I decided to try the Apache
> build. This may have been rash, and produced a *lot* of compiler warnings
> about incompatible pointer assignments / conversions, of which the following
> are just examples :
>
>         ------------------------^
> cfe: Warning: ap_md5c.c, line 547: Incompatible pointer type assignment
>             ap_MD5Update(&ctx1, sp, sl);
>         ------------------------^
> cfe: Warning: ap_md5c.c, line 606: illegal combination of pointer and
> integer
>         crypt_pw = crypt(passwd, hash);

Hmmm... yes, seems like your Ultrix box has more problems with Apache itself.
You should try to trace them down before you try mod_ssl. These are all plain
Apache problems. Please try to find out more details and send us (the Apache
Group!) an Apache problem report about this.

> and finally (many many warnings later) the make failed with :
>
> yacc -d -l ssl_expr_parse.y
>  fatal error: illegal option: l, line 1
> *** Error code 1

Ok, that's perhaps my fault: The yacc target should _NEVER_ be called for end
users like you.  It's for the maintainer (me) only and I use BSD yacc which
knows -l. I'll add a "touch" to make sure the target is not called for end
users. Thanks for the hint.  In your particular situation the timestamps seems
to be corrupted inside src/modules/ssl/.

>  a)  this may all be due to problems in the mod_ssl configure

No, the fist problems is of this type. The other things
are more general Ultrix/Apache problems, I think.

>  b)  the compiler warnings may be due to my using DEC's C compiler, in
>       which case (sigh) I'll have to set about getting hold of gcc 2.7.x and
>       compiling it up before continuing.

Yes, that's also what I guess.

>  c)  the Ultrix yacc may be inadequate - what's the GNU equivalent ?

Bison. But a simple "touch ssl_expr_parse.c" should be all
you need.

> I will submit a separate mod_ssl Problem Report if appropriate for the
> above, since the original "can't find SSL headers" problem does seem to have
> gone, now that I'm using a compatible mod_ssl snapshot.
>
> I didn't submit the entire 300-line make log, but could if that's helpful.

The mod_ssl problem I've now fixed. But for the remaining problems I think an
Apache problem report is more reasonable.