hi Ralf,
ok, i've looked at /home/tony/apache_1.3.6/src/Configuration.tmpl
and it shows this:
#SSL_BASE=/usr/local/ssl
#RSA_BASE=/usr/local/rsa
Rule SSL_COMPAT=yes
Rule SSL_SDBM=default
Rule SSL_EXPERIMENTAL=no
Rule SSL_VENDOR=no

(and at the end of the file this:
#AddModule modules/ssl/libssl.a

i've tried uncommenting the commented lines, and it gives
the same error message.

what should i try now?
thanks for your help, i appreciate a lot :)