On Tue, Jun 01, 1999, Simon Garner wrote:

> > I've seen such error when I made wrong certificate. Are you sure that you
> > entered FQDN of your server when was asked about "Your name:" by Ope
>
> This seems to be a common confusion -- why not change the question in
> OpenSSL to say "Your domain name" instead?

OpenSSL is a generic toolkit not bound to webservers. That the CommonName is
the FQDN of the webserver isn't a requirement with X.509 certificates. So
"Your name" is actually not incorrect or at least more correct than "Your
domain name". Additionally when you use mod_ssl's "make certificate" the
questions _doesn't_ read "Your name". It explicitly asks for the FQDN!