On Tue, Jul 13, 1999, Benjamin Rosenbaum wrote:

> In the instructions for configuring mod_ssl for win32,
> the ones at
> http://www.modssl.org/source/exp/mod_ssl/pkg.mod_ssl/INSTALL.Win32 ,
> it says you have to modify line 174 of crypto\bn\bn_mulw.c in the
> OpenSSL source.
> [...]
> Is the doc wrong? Is it merely obsolete for 0.9.3a? Or is
> my installation somehow corrupt?

Yes, the INSTALL.Win32 is always not up-to-date, because Win32 is a not
officially supported platforms and this way I not try to keep it up-to-date.
Nevertheless I've done a quick blind update of this document for you.  It's
appended.

> [...]
> If I manage to get this working, and the doc is obsolete, I will
> post errata to the modss-users list. (I take the liberty of
> crossposting this to openssl-users as it may well be an
> OpenSSL issue).

Yes, please help us in updating the document. Start from the version I've
appended to this mail. Thanks for your help.

                       _             _
   _ __ ___   ___   __| |    ___ ___| |  mod_ssl
  | '_ ` _ \ / _ \ / _` |   / __/ __| |  Apache Interface to OpenSSL
  |_| |_| |_|\___/ \__,_|___|___/___/_|  ftp.modssl.org
                       |_____|

                                        ``Windows: 32 bit extensions and a
                                          graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
                                          to an 8 bit operating system
                                          originally coded for a 4 bit
                                          microprocessor, written by a 2 bit
                                          company, that can't stand 1 bit of
                                          competition.''
                                                       -- Unknown
  INSTALLATION (Win32)

  Introduction
  ____________

  This document describes how to build Apache+mod_ssl under the Win32
  environment (Windows 95/98/NT).

  ** WARNING: 1. THE WIN32 SUPPORT FOR APACHE IS STILL BETA STAGE!           **
  **                                                                         **
  **          2. THE WIN32 SUPPORT FOR MOD_SSL IS ALPHA STAGE!               **
  **                                                                         **
  **          3. THERE IS NO OFFICIAL MOD_SSL SUPPORT FOR THE WIN32 PLATFORM **
  **             BECAUSE THE AUTHOR OF MOD_SSL ONLY SUPPORTS UNIX PLATFORMS. **
  **             SO, WHEN YOU WANT TO RUN APACHE+MOD_SSL UNDER WIN32 DO IT   **
  **             ON YOUR OWN RISK AND YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY!               **

  Prerequisites
  _____________

  To use mod_ssl you need at least the following two packages:

   o  Package:      Apache
      Version:      1.3.x
      Homepage:     http://www.apache.org/
      Tarball:      apache_1.3.x.tar.gz
      Location:     SF, USA
      Author(s):    The Apache Group <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   o  Package:      mod_ssl
      Version:      2.3.x
      Homepage:     http://www.modssl.org/
      Tarball:      mod_ssl-2.3.x-1.3.x.tar.gz
      Location:     Zurich, Switzerland, Europe
      Author(s):    Ralf S. Engelschall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  If you have the OpenSSL package not already installed on your system you
  additionally need the following package:

   o  Package:      OpenSSL
      Version:      0.9.x
      Homepage:     http://www.openssl.org/
      Tarball:      openssl-0.9.x.tar.gz
      Location:     Zurich, Switzerland, Europe
      Author(s):    The OpenSSL Project

  Finally you need the following auxiliary packages already installed
  (CygWin for unpacking the tarballs with GZip and Perl for building OpenSSL):

   o  Package:      CygWin32
      Version:      B20
      Homepage:     http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/
      Tarball:      usertools.exe
      Location:     USA
      Author(s):    Cygnus

   o  Package:      Perl
      Version:      5.004 or 5.005
      Homepage:     http://www.perl.com/
      Tarball:      perl5.00402-bindist04-bc.zip
      Location:     USA
      Author(s):    Larry Wall

  And finally you need MS Visual C++ 5.0
  (Sorry, not free software :-(, but Apache only supports this compiler)

   o  Package:      Visual Studio 97
      Version:      5.0
      Homepage:     http://www.microsoft.com/vstudio/
      Tarball:      -
      Location:     USA
      Author(s):    Microsoft Corp.

  Installation
  ____________

  Now follow these steps:

   1. Make sure CygWin, Perl and the Visual Studio tools are already installed and
      available through the commands `gzip', `tar', `perl', `nmake', `cl',
      `link', etc. They are needed for configuring OpenSSL and mod_ssl and for
      building the packages. Additionally a text editor should be available.
      We assume `vim' (Vi Improved), but you can use any preferred text
      editor.

   2. Extract the required packages

      $ gzip -d -c apache_1.3.x.tar.gz | tar xvf -
      $ gzip -d -c mod_ssl-2.3.x-1.3.x.tar.gz | tar xvf -
      $ gzip -d -c openssl-0.9.x.tar.gz | tar xvf -

   3. Configure and build the OpenSSL library. This is a little bit
      more complicated than under Unix, because you have to additionally
      patch some source files. So be patient while hacking ;-)

      o Enter the OpenSSL source tree

        $ cd openssl-0.9.x

      o Modify $INSTALLTOP in util\mk1mf.pl to fit your preference (e.g.  p:\openssl)

        $ vim util\mk1mf.pl
        << $INSTALLTOP="/usr/local/ssl";
        >> $INSTALLTOP="p:\openssl";

      o Edit file crypto\des\des.h as following:

        $ vim crypto\des\des.h
        << char *crypt();
        >> #ifndef MOD_SSL
        >> char *crypt();
        >> #endif

      o Configure OpenSSL for building under Win32:

        $ perl Configure VC-WIN32
        $ ms\do_ms

      o Build the OpenSSL package

        $ nmake /f ms\ntdll.mak

      o Install OpenSSL into $INSTALLTOP. You have do this by hand:
        (replace p:\openssl with the path you set $INSTALLTOP to)

        $ md p:\openssl
        $ md p:\openssl\bin
        $ md p:\openssl\lib
        $ md p:\openssl\include
        $ copy /b inc32\*               p:\openssl\include
        $ copy /b out32dll\ssleay32.lib p:\openssl\lib
        $ copy /b out32dll\libeay32.lib p:\openssl\lib
        $ copy /b out32dll\ssleay32.dll p:\openssl\bin
        $ copy /b out32dll\libeay32.dll p:\openssl\bin
        $ copy /b out32dll\ssleay.exe   p:\openssl\bin

      o Leave the OpenSSL source tree

        $ cd ..

      o Now put $INSTALLTOP\bin into your %PATH%
        (needed because of the DLLs!)

  4. Now apply the mod_ssl source extension and source patches to
     the Apache source tree.

     $ cd mod_ssl-2.3.x-1.3.x
     $ configure.bat \
           --with-apache=..\apache_1.3.x \
           --with-ssl=p:\openssl
     $ cd ..

  5. Build and install the SSL-aware Apache:

     $ cd apache_1.3.x\src
     $ nmake /f Makefile.nt
     $ nmake /f Makefile.nt installr

  6. Now you're on your own, because Win32 is not an officially
     supported platform of mod_ssl. You have to setup the config files and
     certificates manually. Good luck...