I have had similar problems when I tried to load
mod_perl as a DSO.

My strace showed that my apache exited in a similar manner.

Removing the mod_perl module load from the httpd.conf
cured the problem, and I have not had time to investigate
it further since.

Mod_php loads fine, so in my case the problem is mod_perl/DSO
related (DSO with mod_perl is considered alpha, I believe)

Do you use APXS compiled modules?

/magnus