Magnus Stenman wrote:

> I have had similar problems when I tried to load
> mod_perl as a DSO.
>
> My strace showed that my apache exited in a similar manner.
>
> Removing the mod_perl module load from the httpd.conf
> cured the problem, and I have not had time to investigate
> it further since.
>
> Mod_php loads fine, so in my case the problem is mod_perl/DSO
> related (DSO with mod_perl is considered alpha, I believe)

I have just investigated further. The workaround is to place the SSL
module first in the list, then Apache does not die on startup. This
workaround is the exact same workaround recommended by the author of an
auth_ldap module who had the same problem.

This looks to be a general Apache problem.

>From the auth_ldap PROBLEMS file it says this:

"On Solaris 2.5.1 and Netscape's LDAP SDK with SSL (libldapssl30.so)
Apache doesn't start, but nothing seems to get logged to the error log.

   Apache is dumping core after a call to dlclose. This only occurs on
   Solaris 2.5.1 when using Netscape's libraries. It appears to be a bug
   with dld on Solaris 2.5.1. One solution is to upgrade to Solaris 2.6
   or later. If that isn't possible, another workaround is to ensure
   that auth_ldap is the first module loaded using the LoadModule
   directive. This can cause problems if you would prefer that auth_ldap
   takes precedence over other auth modules, since normally the last
   module loaded gets called first. You can solve this by adding a
   ClearModuleList directive, then issuing AddModule directives for
   every loaded module, in reverse order that you want them called. Do
   this after the last LoadModule directive."

I've seen this behaviour on Solaris v2.5.1 and Linux v2.2.5 (glibc
v2.1). Anyone have any further ideas on what is causing this?

Regards,
Graham