>>> "R. DuFresne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 09/29/99 01:28AM >>>
><slackware, not redhat> does have a somewhat more complex structure.
>As mentioned before the server will load the page, even perhaps let
one
>cruise about a bit, then SSL dies away and port 443 is dead, till the
>server is restarted, then it will play again for a bit and die again.
And
>as you mention the port 80 side of the server runs along fine and
firm...

Are you using a DBM session cache?  This sounds *very* much like the
typical broken vendor DBM library problem we've seen so many times.  I
know it's bitten me before with Slackware on multiple occasions.  The
problem occurs (at least in the cases I've seen it) after the server's
been up for a while and the server goes to flush an entry from the
session cache... the act of deleting an entry from the DBM with one of
these broken DBM libraries segfaults the server.  Check the FAQ for
details: http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.4/ssl_faq.html#ToC8 tells you how
to use the built-in SDBM library instead of your default DBM library.
FYI: An MM session cache is *much* faster than DBM and works better
(with Slackware) anyway... I'd use that if I were you.

PS: Ralf, if you read this, there's still that typo in this FAQ that I
mentioned a while back: two instances of "SSLSessioCache" should read
"SSLSessionCache".

Hope this helps!

Cliff Woolley
Central Systems Software Administrator