Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has encountered the following problem with the
Verisign SGC GlobalID certificates. I'm running mod_ssl 2.4.8_1.3.9, and
have got both the global certificate and the intermediate certificate
installed and configured. I can connect with an export version of
Netscape and get 128-bit encryption no problem. If I try the same thing
with IE5.0 I get a "cannot find server or DNS error", which is very
helpful. If I try it with IE4.0 I get the slightly more useful error of
"Invalid Certificate", which I guess means the intermediate certificate.

I've tried putting the intermediate cert in using both
SSLCertificateChainFile directive and the SSLCACertificatePath and
SSLCACertificateFile directives (all work with Netscape, still no dice
with IE). I've also tried pointing IE at some external websites that use
SGC (like https://enigma.barclaycard.co.uk) and they work fine. The only
unusual thing is that I'm trying this out on an internal, private
webserver (before putting it on our production server), which doesn't
have the same Common Name as the certificate. Would that cause IE to
complain?

Any ideas? (Except for "don't use IE" please :))

Thanks,
Gareth.

--
Mutant Technology Ltd.