If you are only going to have *one* SSL-enabled virtual host, then you
can do it on the same IP address as all your non-SSL name-based virtual
hosts--the different port number serves to distinguish it from the
name-based hosts. The limitation with name-based hosting and SSL is
that you can't have SSL-enabled virtual hosts and name-base them. If
you have multiple SSL-enabled vhosts, they have to be separated by IP
address (because they would all want to use the same port (443) by
default).
In any case, you *can* specify all of these virtual hosts in the same
httpd.conf file. If I've understood correctly that you'll only have one
SSL vhost, you don't need any more IPs. All you do is set up a virtual
host that looks something like:
<VirtualHost _default_:443>
ServerName secure.yoursite.com
SSLEngine on
[...]
</VirtualHost>
For the rest of the example, see httpd.conf-dist as provided by the
mod_ssl distribution.
Hope this helps,
--Cliff Woolley
Central Systems Software Administrator
Washington and Lee University
<<< <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/ 4 3:18p >>>
Presently, I have one IP address assigned through which I operate
name-based/non-IP based virtual hosts. I realize I can't have ssl
with not IP based virtual hosts. However, if another IP address is
assigned, can I have the SSL host assigned to one IP and my non-
IP virtual hosts assigned to the other IP and have it all configured in
the same httpd.conf configuration file? If so, can someone give an
example of what entries I would need to make in the httpd.conf file?
Thanks for any help.
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl) www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Automated List Manager [EMAIL PROTECTED]
______________________________________________________________________
Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl) www.modssl.org
User Support Mailing List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Automated List Manager [EMAIL PROTECTED]