Ok - I feel like I'm making progress but I'm still getting error messages.

When I run:
egd.pl /etc/entropy read 255

I get:
IO::Socket::INET: Cannot assign requested address at /usr/bin/egd.pl line 553
can't create socket 255 : Bad file number at /usr/bin/egd.pl line 578.

Also, when I run:
openssl s_client -connect localhost:443 -state -debug

I get:
unable to load 'random state'
This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
with much random data.
Consider setting the RANDFILE environment variable to point at a file that
'random' data can be kept in (the file will be overwritten).
connect: Connection refused
connect:errno=111

Where would I set the RANDFILE environment variable?

Thanks, everybody for being patient with me.