Hi, I'm new here but I did check the docs and the list archive first.

On 24 Oct 2000, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Panon, Paul-Andre wrote:

> I am trying to use multiple name-based virtual hosts with mod_ssl.
<<<<
. . .

Both mod_ssl and its predecessor ssleay can support separate certificates
for each virtual host.  The catch is that each virtual host must have a
unique IP address as the entire TCP packet payload is encrypted.
<<<<
. . .

The only way to remove ambiguity is to use a unique IP address for each
virtual host that is using SSL to protect the data that is being
transmitted.

This is a gross oversimplification of the process but should give you an
idea why each virtual host that uses SSL to protect data needs a unique IP
address and why you see the error that you report.
<<<<

Sorry to bang on about this but... if I had a single cert, e.g. one for
*.mydomain.com, will I be able to run multiple name-based virtual hosts
such as www.mydomain.com and thisisanother.mycomain.com on the same IP
address? Maybe (probably!) I missed something, but this would seem to
satisfy both the server and the browser, since the cert will match.

I guess maybe I should run out and cut myself a cert and play with this...

Many thanks,

John.

--
John Robinson, UN*X hack/software engineer/internet security bod
44 Haymarket Terrace Edinburgh EH12 5LA. Tel +44 131 3372211 or +44 7771