I am trying to establish a secure server using Apache on RedHat 7. I am
using OpenSSL 0.9.5a (the most current RPM available at RedHat)

I have tried the various Apache httpd.conf tricks noted at:

     http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC48

But to no avail. Internet Explorer 5.0 (Mac has no higher available version)
refuses to negotiate a secure connection with the https:// pages, although
Netscape works perfectly. Explorer initially shows the page missing the
graphics, but nothing can be submitted. The error is "Security Failure. Data
Decryption Error."

I am admittedly a dummy when it comes to Linux, and an attempt to install an
OpenSSL 0.9.6 RPM obtained from the RedHat site resulted in httpd refusing
to start, saying there was a problem with SSL library module. Some have
suggested downgrading to OpenSSL 0.9.3 to correct the problem, but without
adequate step by step installation instructions I am doomed, since all I can
obtain is source for that version and it (apparently) does not install in
the places that RedHat 7 expects things to be.

I guess my question is - how can a glaring "problem" with the software (not
working at all with the default browser on the Mac OS) have escaped the
attention of the developers, and how come there is no fix or workaround that
a regular Joe just treading water to get this thing working can apply
without a having a computer science degree?

Is there an integrated, relatively painless to install solution that will
give me a working webserver that has secure transaction capabilities that
does not require me recompiling half the software on the server to make
function properly. Yes, I have been told that IE has a broken SSL
implementation, but tell that to people who have been using it successfully
to do secure transactions all over the web.

A little frustrated now that I am restoring the server software (yet again)
from tape backup after a blown installation of OpenSSL 0.9.6.