Thank you for your help. :) I am happy to say, that I *finally* managed to
get the silly thing working, and I am going home now to nurse my aching head
and sour stomach (nasty cold bug going around). The thing that did the trick
was to add the following to near the end of the httpd.conf file:

SSLSessionCache  dbm:/var/cache/httpd/ssl_cache
SSLSessionCacheTimeout 300

That and the other two lines:

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP

did the fix, and the site now works with IE.