You may want to download and try ssl.ca-0.1. I found it in the "Miscellameous
Contributions" area of the OpenSSL web site (www.openssl.org). I've used this set
of scripts successfully to create a root CA, sign the server's certificate, and
create and sign user certs. I've even had great success excporting user certs in
p12 format for Netscape. Ssl.ca is a well-written script set.

Mike Carter
Pilot/SysAdmin