Aha, that's your problem!  Just stick with the standard OpenSSL RPMs for
your system, you won't be using those to build Apache/mod_ssl.  Don't even
worry about upgrading OpenSSL for the entire system.

If you then build Apache/mod_ssl/OpenSSL/libmm according to the instructions
I posted yesterday (see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modssl&m=99617165921669&w=2) you will
be successful.

Hope this helps,