I'm running imap, fetchmail, pine, etc (from redhat)
mutt, apache, php (external sources, apache from Henri G.)
stunnel, sendmail (internally made RPMs)

which all use ssl, with no problems
(well you have to force Henri's apache RPMto ignore
 the openssl 0.9.6 dependency)
on several RedHat 6.2's with the latest RH updates including the
openssl-0.9.5a-7.6.x

So if you just need standard apache-mod_ssl functionality
maybe you could just use the apache-mod_ssl-1.3.20.2.8.4-2 RPMs?

(you can always apxs compile add-on modules)

/magnus