Doesn't that error have the feel of a makefile error?

How about an experiment?  Do a 'find ... -ls' on all of your Configure and
make files, and check their modification dates.  Better yet, make a
radical change in your Apache configuration (like a different compiler),
and see if it gets reflected on down the line.  (For extra credit, do a
'make distclean' and then check again.)

Apache seems to have a problem changing configuration, and not even
distclean works.  I finally learned it wasn't worth mucking around--if
you want to change something, wipe out _everything_ and reload from the
tar file.