I have a question which concerning certain performance problems we are
having with large HTTP/HTTPS documents.

When our application (with extensive Java applet code) is run via HTTP, the
browser caches all HTTP documents nicely (including HTML, CSS, GIF, JPG,
JAR, CAB, XML ...). When the application is run next time, the browser
indicates what documents it already has and the server just responds with
the '304 Not Modified' message.

However, when the application runs under HTTPS, documents of type JAR, CAB,
XML (which we call from JavaScript on HTML pages) are not cached on the
client at all.

It it something that can be changed at the server level? Or is it purely a
WWW browser issue (in that case - where to find exact description of the
bahavior)?

Thank you,

Tomas Hulek