On Wed, 1 May 2002, Lynn Gazis wrote:

> I'm now getting unresolved externals when trying to build Apache 2.0.35 with
> SSL enabled on Solaris 7, and would like, before I go farther in trying to
> diagnose this particular problem (and the shared memory cache problem I am
> having on HP UX), to ask a couple of general questions:
>
> 1) In testing Apache 2.0, should I be testing with the latest version of
> OpenSSL 0.9.6 or with the latest pre-release version of OpenSSL 0.9.7?

perhaps the most stable code will be either 0.9.6b or 0.9.6c, I can't
speak for 0.9.7.

> 2) Is there some option that I have not found which I should be using to
> enable to engine code (right now I am doing so by modifying mod_ssl.h to
> turn SSL_EXPERIMENTAL and SSL_ENGINE on)?

There are two versions of openssl source available, the engine version and
the non-engine version.  Both will work pretty much the same.  But, if you
ever intend upon using hardware encryption devices you will want the
engine version.

> 3) Should the shared memory cache be automatically included in Apache 2.0,
> or should I be somehow including mm-1.1.3, as I have been doing with modssl?

My understanding is that mm is not longer required.  So yes, its built in.

> 4) Should I be reporting problems I run across in testing Apache 2.0 to a
> different list from this one?

This list is at least one spot, I'm sure others here might recommend other
lists to x-post such problems to.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!