I believe it is more accurate to redirect.  It causes less
confusion:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName  whatever
Redirect  permanent / https://whatever
</VirtualHost>

Avoids confusion and irritation on the part of site visitors.

this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
    -- Jonathan Swift
___

Dale Weaver                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
UNIX Systems Administrator                (919) 662-3508
Wake Technical Community College          fax (919) 779-3360