Thank you for the info. I will work on debugging but here is another question. Why,
when ssl and apache are under /usr/local,  is vhosts.c still under the source code
directory? This seems more like a compilation problem although I have compiled it a
couple of times.

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Jeff Landers wrote:

>  ./bin/apachectl startssl [Mon Jun 10 10:19:51 2002] [crit] [Mon Jun 10
> 10:19:51 2002] file vhost.c, line 232, assertion "rv == APR_SUCCESS"
> failed Abort - core dumped ./bin/apachectl startssl: httpd could not be
> started

That means the call to apr_sockaddr_info_get() on the address
"255.255.255.255" failed (the call is made because you're using
"_default_" in one of your vhosts).  So then the question is: why did it
fail?  Well, to know that, I need to know (a) what the actual return code
was, (b) what OS you're running, and it would be helpful to also have (c)
a backtrace.

See http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html for help on fetching b and
c.  :)

Thanks,