I've seen this happen sometimes on our SSL servers (which do
quite a lot of traffic).  A quick search of the logs for
recent connections from the same address always shows the
client as IE5.0 - which is known to be broken.  The connections
seem to stall in the SSL negotiation and get killed off
but our rather intolerant tcp keepalive settings.  I've never
found a real answer to the problem.

Andy

Alex Kotov wrote:

> Hi Cliff,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I'm using
>
> SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
> SSLRandomSeed connect builtin
>
> and 5 is definitely the file descriptor for the network connection.
>
> Is there anything else I should check?
>
> Thanks,
> - Alex
>

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Alex Kotov wrote:
>>

>>>After a while the server processes become stuck while waiting for
>>>the data from a socket.
>>>Running strace on a hung process produces
>>>read(5,
>>>for a long time, eventually followed by
>>>read(5, 0x959d2d8, 11) = -1 ETIMEDOUT (Connection timed out)
>>>
>>Are you sure that file descriptor 5 is the connection to the client?
>>
>>What SSLRandomSeed are you using?  This sounds like one of those
>>/dev/random not-enough-entropy problems to me.
>>
>>--Cliff

>>Automated List Manager                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Andy Osborne      ****************      "Vertical B2B Communities"
Senior Internet Engineer
Sift Group                    100 Victoria Street, Bristol BS1 6HZ
tel:+44 117 915 9600  fax:+44 117 915 9630   http://www.sift.co.uk