I've seen strange problems with IE5, too, but these connections have
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; DigExt)" as
User-Agent. Unfortunately, changing tcp keepalive setting is not an
option for us.

I don't know all the intricacies of SSL handshake, but it looks like it
starts by the server trying to read 11 bytes from the client, and this is
where mod_ssl may wait for a long time without checking for a timeout.
Could someone point me to the place in the code where this read happens? I
would hate to switch to stronghold :(

Thanks,
- Alex