[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> HI  chris ,
>
> I have a Debian version of Linux  .
> I will try to re-install apache itself and copy the httpd.conf , I currenlty
> have . Right now our debian server is used by a testing organization to
> test our applications residing on this server.
>
> thought there should be some way to add mod_ssl without disturbing their
> work .
>
> thanks
> ibrahim
>
> Ibrahim,
>
> Windows or Unix?
>
> On Windows I may be able to explain it, but not Unix.
> Read my reply to Andreas re version of OpennSSL.
>
> -chris

Ibrahim,

I have Debian as well.

I generally let apt-get (dpkg) handle everything.  I tweak the Apache
slightly.  I would say that apt will handle your situation as well.

I installed apache and then later installed apache-ssl. I seems to work
fine but it also looks like there are 2 servers.  In fact if you install
only apache-ssl you do not have http, it seems.

I only use my server for playing around on. I can experiment if that is
of any help to you.  I also have two more Debian machines that I can
experiment with ... one is already running apache the other is not - but
could be.

My experience would indicate that your previous configuration will be
preserved - sometimes even when you rather it did not.

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

These are the sources that I use.  I am checking now to see what revs I
am actually running (I am reasonably certain that apt-get updated the
ssl in the past 2 weeks. I am running sshd as well and it needed the
update as well.

deb http://mirror.direct.ca/linux/debian/ testing main contrib
deb-src http://mirror.direct.ca/linux/debian/ testing main contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free

The resulting versions are ...

Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux
Apache/1.3.26 Ben-SSL/1.48 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux

I do not know enough about it, but the Ben-SSL may not be mod_ssl, it is
listed as apache_ssl.

Included in apache-ssl (Woody testing)...

libc6 2.2.5-14.3
libdb2 2:2.7.7.0-8
libexpat1 1.95.2-6
libssl0.9.6 0.9.6g-2 < this is important
mime-support 3.19-1
apache-common 1.3.26-1.1
perl 5.6.1-7
libgdbmg1 1.7.3-27.1
perl-doc 5.6.1-7
logrotate 3.6.5-1
dpkg 1.10.4
openssl 0.9.6g-2 < this is important
apache-doc 1.3.26-1.1

I built the Apache, mod_ssl, OpenSSL (Win32) for Apache 1.3.26 but I do
not use it - others asked for it.  On windows I am using Apache 2.0.42 -
it has (can have) the SSL built-in but I am not using it.

If someone else would like to comment (not about using Windows) it would
be appreciated.

My suggestion...

Add sources to security and testing if necessary and run:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Originally Woody had Apache 1.3.24 - my current rev were updated by
apt-get update/upgrade.

Chris.