Hi.

My production server is currently running
   Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.10 OpenSSL/0.9.6g

and I'm test driving
   Server: Apache/2.0.42 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.42 OpenSSL/0.9.6g

I have a secure server certificate from Verisign, and the intermediate cert from
their website installed as the SSLCertificateChainFile.

Things work fine on the production platform. On the test platform, things work
fine using IE6 or Opera as the browser, and the certificate details are okay on
inspection.

However, Netscape 7 (and also Mozilla, BTW) returns the error
   The certificate was issued by a certificate authority
   that Netscape 7.0 does not recognize
which would seem to be a cert chain problem. Probing with openssl s_client does
not suggest a server problem. You can, of course, just tell NS7 to permanently
accept the cert and continue, but it's upsetting to some users to have to do that.

Info at mozilla.org suggests that, at least up til recently, there have been
known SSL/TLS issues, but I don't see anything quite like this.

Anyone with a similar experience/problem/solution?

Thanks in advance.
John Chambers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>