[I had to be out of the office, sorry to be slow in following up]

Thanks for the reply, Jose. Either I posed my question poorly or I don't
understand your answer.

I have two servers running (they are on the same host (distinguished ports), the
CN value in the certificate won't be an issue). One is Apache1+modssl-addon, the
other is Apache2+modssl-builtin. Both are set up with a copy of our secure
server certificate from Verisign (SSLCertificateFile), and the Verisign-provided
intermediate certificate (SSLCertificateChainFile). (And of course both have the
same SSLCertificateKeyFile).

Now. When I point IE6 (or Opera) at either server, it recognizes the
intermediate certificate, figures out that it knows who Verisign is (in its
list of known CAs), and trusts our Verisign-issued server cert.

If I point Netscape at the Apache1 version, it behaves in this way also.

If I now point Netscape at the trial Apache2 setup, it claims that (as noted)
the server cert was issued by an unrecognized CA.

So .. the only way I can articulate this situation is .. that there is some
difference in the way the mod_ssl addon for Apache 1 and the mod_ssl builtin for
Apache 2 delivers intermediate certificate chain info, and that only Netscape
seems to be sensitive to the difference.