Take a look at the code of Webmin, it uses a Perl based webserver that can
use SSL if available. http://www.webmin.com
I have a chapter online introducing the main SSL concepts, it is focused on apache
but it should be useful for the basics:
http://www.apacheworld.org/ty24/
then, for the programming side of things, this is a good book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/059600270X
As a reference book, I found this one invaluable:

Cheers

Daniel