MSIE 5.0 was only available from Microsoft for a very short period - because
there were so many SECURITY issues with 5.0, MS very quickly released MSIE
5.01 - at the same time, they [mostly] fixed the broken SSL implementation.

These versions had significant security issues, AND very buggy SSL:
 5.00.2014.0216 Internet Explorer 5
 5.00.2314.1003 Internet Explorer 5 Office 2000
 5.00.2614.3500 Internet Explorer 5 Windows 98 Second Edition
 5.00.2516.1900 Internet Explorer 5 Windows 2000 Beta 3
 5.00.2919.800  Internet Explorer 5 Windows 2000 RC1
 5.00.2919.3800 Internet Explorer 5 Windows 2000 RC2

I note that you say you are using the Win98/2 version? Unusual in the
corporate environment.

The first version that works reasonably reliably with SSL is 5.00.2919.6307
which is actually IE 5.01

If your customers are still using MSIE 5.0 then you have a security
obligation to 'toss your hands in the air' and get them to move as soon as
possible. If you are aware of the issues [ and you are now 8-) ] and you
don't inform them, do you become liable? Your requirement to use SSL seems
to indicate that security might be important to your customers.

I work for an ASP that provides dynamic sites and services for banks - we
did have a bank using 5.0 attempt to use our services. When we waved the
security banner, the users PCs were upgraded to a later version of IE within
two weeks. In the meantime, they used Netscape.

If you managed to get IE5.0 working RELIABLY with SSL in the past, then you
are the first person I have ever met who makes that claim. A posting of the
httpd.conf settings that work would be valuable.

The most obvious solution to your problem is to roll-back to the working
version / configuration.

Regards
Jeff