First and foremost, if this is a world-accessable server, upgrade your
version of OpenSSL to the most recent available for RH7.3 (I'd also consider
upgrading to RH9.0 while you're at it).  0.9.6b has several security
vulnerabilities outlined at www.openssl.org.  Also, use the most current
versions of Apache and mod_ssl.

.. that being said..

Generally speaking, the standard, non-DSO build can be summarized as such:

# build and install OpenSSL from source (http://www.openssl.org)
cd ${OPEN_SSL_SRC_DIR} ; CFLAGS=${CFLAGS} ./config -fPIC
make test
make install

# build mod_ssl/patch Apache source (http://www.modssl.org)
cd ${MOD_SSL_DIR}
CFLAGS=${CFLAGS} ./configure --with-apache=../${APACHE_SRC_DIR}

# build and install Apache from source (http://httpd.apache.org)
cd ${APACHE_SRC_DIR}
CFLAGS=${CFLAGS} SSL_BASE=../${OPEN_SSL_SRC_DIR}
./configure --enable-module=ssl
make
make install

# done..
There are numerous other configuration directives, but the above will build
a mod_ssl capable Apache instance for you.

Kind Regards,
-dsp

[...]