AFAIK the apache-weblogic connection isn't encrypted.
And yes if encrypted it would be weblogic modules
responsibilty. You can check with a tcpdump (use
ethereal on Linux/Unix). You could use Stunnel to
create an SSL tunnel between the apache and weblogic
boxes. How well this works I don't know.

Regards
Matt