I found it does this if it cannot find openssl.cnf. You can tell it where the file is via the -config <file> switch.

Regards,

Martin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eckard Wille" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <modssl-users@modssl.org>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 4:19 PM
Subject: Re: opensll req -new: unkown option -new!?

Eric Wood schrieb:
My cert expired so I'm trying to renew.  Because the Organizational
Unit field is now required, I'm trying to recreate a new CSR from
my existing key:

# openssl req -new -key www.xyz.com.key -out www.xyz.com.csr
unknown option -new ........ etc.

I'm running FC6 with latest openssl-0.9.8b-15.fc6.   I'm totally
perplexed as to why -new is an unknown option.  Any ideas?

Hi Eric,

perhaps the "-" has not the required ascii code. Did you copy that
command from a website? Some fellows use long minus signs for better
readability, so give it another try by typing the command line by hand.

Greetings from Germany,
Eckard