On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Chris Josephes wrote:
> I'd prefer to see
>
>  [uber.customer payment-reminder]
>
> in a template than
>
>  [uber.conditional if:(overdue > 100) -> ]
>    Your past due balance is over $100.  Please contact us to make
>    plans regarding remittance.
>  [uber.conditional else ]
>    Just a friendly reminder that you currently carry a past due balance.
>  [<- uber.conditional endif ]
>
> The best we can do is make recommendations on what makes a good template,
> and that means the programmer using either TT or UT needs to create better
> extensions for the document writers.

Well I'd disagree with your recommendation in this case.  (A) Your second
example above is much closer to something that can be easily
internationalized.  (B) Your second example puts the control of the
wording of the text in the hands of a non-programmer.

My point B above is one of the big motivators that drives our use of TT2
actually.  We have a client that has lots of forms that do quite similar
things.  Using TT2 we can let folks that aren't perl whizzes tweak the
fields and their layout seperately from whatever programming may be
required.  Quite often a non-technical person has been able to respond to
a customer request weeks before a programmer would have gotten to it.

> It's kind of wierd how all of these examples always fall back on invoices,
> bills, or other business documents.

We're currently using TT2 to do web applications for insurance and medical
records management, but those are all business documents too.  My dreams
of using TT2 for 'fun' things like systems administration and MP3 herding
just don't seem to get much time.  :(  [sigh.]

--
</chris>

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
        -Oscar Wilde, writer (1854-1900)