On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:47:09AM -0500, Ken Williams wrote:

> I agree.  There are plenty of modules on CPAN that people still find
> useful even though they haven't had recent development on them.  It's
> much better to inform people of known/serious bugs in modules, than to
> try to guess at the author's intentions WRT the module.

I think MJD expressed this best at YAPC when he became very animated in
one of his '12 views' LT, ranting about how someone accused him of neglecting
his Text::Template module when, as he said, it was mature, perfect. He
blames this update mentality on Microsoft.

> I believe our challenge is not to enforce some kind of standards on
> CPAN, but to make sure that people can efficiently find the most
> appropriate tools for their needs.  I think the search.cpan.org
> redesign was really a *huge* leap forward for that, and I'd like to see
> similar efforts continue in that direction.

Well, you know, CPAN and BackPAN /are/ archives...there are a lot of
crap books in every library that noone reads much but will occasionally
get sent out on loan :) They don't eat much space and, aside from ones
parked on a good namespace with clear neglect, they're mostly not worth
the stress of getting fussy over. On the other end of the spectrum is
Acme::Current which noone seems to be making noise about.

It is a commons...choose your battles wisely or you'll be mired in
battle for a long time to come.

e.