Hello list-members,

I just subscribe to this mailing-list. A Perl monk (adrianh) suggested
me to ask my question to this list. So do I.

The problem is following one:

"
We are using at CENA (French Reserch Center for Air Traffic Control) a
perl module called Ivy.pm for more than 5 years now, and this module is
freely available since July 2000 (at least).
It was proven to be very powerfull for developping multi-agents
/multi-plateform prototypes. In facts it is a software bus, very easy to
use. It works on many languages and many architectures. A new agent on
the bus just connect, subscribes to messages through simple regexp (part
of the regexp being given as arguments to callback) and send messages.
Messages are text, and as any agent can subscribe to any regexp, it is
very easy to use and add new agents.

Ivy is already freely available on http://www.tls.cena.fr/products/ivy
but has never been uploaded on the CPAN. My question relates to the
module name. In-house (and in other reserch centers and at least one
company), we could hardly change this module name because it is used in
more than 50 applications and in more than 10 teams. In fact the number
of agents is really more if we count all very small agents (maybe 100 or
200, hard to say).

So I can only see two ways to upload this usefull module:
  * we upload the module with this root name: Ivy
  * we upload the module in a subhierarchy Xxx::Ivy but we need to build
    a wrapper for our own needs... This solution seems to be a bit
    tricky and I fear this could be error-prone.

Do you have some suggestions?
"

This question was discussed http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=309049
and my feeling is that the best, for me and current users, would be to
keep the same name (that is Ivy would become a root name on the CPAN).

what do you think about this proposal?

PS: Ivy.pm current implementation is based on Arrays rather than Hashes.
The implementation could be modified to use hashes or extended to
simplify sub-classing. This would not be done in a first CPAN
release....
PS2: current Ivy.pm comments are in french but the module should be CPAN
compliant...

Thanks for your replies

--
  Christophe M.