On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Smylers wrote:

> > And most importantly, it handles all the niggling little corner cases,
>
> Certainly you've given the impression of having thought about these more
> than any of t'other date modules do -- and more than I want to have to
> think about them -- so I'm happy to trust the modules to get the write
> answers.

Hopefully more than just an impression ;)  Actually, I don't know if I've
thought about it more, I've just implemented more.  My guess is that many
other module authors thought a lot about things like time zones and leap
seconds and then gave up ;)  They're very painful.

> Now that I'm quite familiar with DateTime I find it really easy to use.
> Getting there was a little bumpy in places -- not because the API was
> bad but cos I couldn't find where the bit I wanted to use was
> documented.
>
> However I don't have any specific complaints with your docs -- now that
> I look, all the things I couldn't see at first are clearly there.
> Possibly it's just that because DateTime does so much there have to be
> so many docs, which can be overwhelming at first.  I'll ponder it some
> more, and if I come up with any positive suggestions I'll join the
> DateTime mailing list.  (Some kind of intro tutorial/overview is one
> posibility, but I'm hesitant to suggest combatting the problem of
> overwhelming docs by adding yet more docs to them ...)

There is a FAQ at datetime.perl.org.  That'd be a good place to add
tutorial-ish stuff, I think.  I should probably highlight that in the
docs.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com