First of all, thanks for your opinion :-)

> If it's simple to remove the data for each language to a config and use identical
> logic for all languages, that's usually the way to go.

The logic (at least initially) will be the same for each and every language.

> There's also a combination of the two. For example, perhaps it makes sense to
> combine Latin based languages together.

I did implement the notion of language sets (the user is able to enable and disable
languages to search within, but also to enable and disable sets of languages). The
problem arises when a language is contained in more than one set; English, for one,
would be in the 'European' set, in the 'European Community' set, and possibly in the
'Most Common' set ;-)

If I were to store all the information of languages in a single file (user editable),
where should I place it? :-| (considering I would want any user to be able to use it
without the need of a local copy and that any user should be able to include his own
languages) ... That would take two files, right? One for everyone and another one in
each user's home directory...

Does the notion of 'home directory' arise a problem when it comes to other OS's? :-| I
have only used Perl with Unix systems.

jac