* Randy W. Sims <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-05-14 01:40]:
> It would be much nicer if it was readable as a nntp or at least
> a mailing list; I've always found http-based discussion boardss
> awkward to navigate and difficult to figure out what I have and
> haven't read.  Wonder why this hasn't been done?

For NNTP, it has. One to run on your own[1] and one available
publically[2].

As a mailinglist, I don't think so, but it's an idea I've
personally been toying with.

* Mark Stosberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-05-14 03:06]:
> Also, you can the voting feature to help keep track of what
> yo've read.  Just vote everything you read up or down. :)
> Admittedly, that strategy works best once you've been there a
> while and have lots of votes to use.

Noone gets enough votes for that: the maximum is 40/day. New
users don't even get any at all, and once they clock up some XP
they get 5. Not really an adequate bookmarking mechanism.

The Newest Nodes page[3] helps though, and there's an XML
ticker[4] you can use to keep track of things with a custom
client of your own. The NNTP gateways mentioned above make use of
exactly that.

[1] http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=102226
[1] http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=304347
[3] http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node=Newest%20Nodes
[4] http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=30175

Aristotle

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you don't take life seriously enough."