On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:12:25AM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Khemir Nadim) writes:
> > why do we have Savanna, Rubyforge and other?
>
> Because people are naturally fractious and would prefer to reinvent the
> wheel in order to do things Their Way instead of making use of the available
> resources.

One benefit I see of a extra "forges" like rubyforge is
decentralization. Right now open source has a huge dependency on
SourceForge. If it goes away or becomes unavailable, that's a major loss
to recover from. I'm more comfortable having a number of similar sites
available.

Personally, I haven't gotten a lot of benefit out of SourceForge hosting
so many sites. Usually I use the tools related to one specific project.
Rarely do I use any tools that benefit from having lots of projects
there.

        Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .